Our dogs love to sniff or investigate just about everything. Trash can be disgusting, but plants can be dangerous.
Dogs don’t know which plants are a danger. For your home landscaping you can easily find list of plants unsafe or toxic for your dog. Many nurseries have a list at the checkout be sure to mention you have a dog.
Indoors keep toxic floral arrangements out of reach, on a sturdy table and be sure to pick up any fallen leaves or flower petals. Even walking by the arrangement can create a slight breeze carrying these to the floor.
If your indoor plants are toxic, please crate your dog when you leave the house.
If you discover your dog has ingested any part of a toxic plant, immediately call your veterinarian or the nearest emergency pet hospital. This is a number you should keep in your in your phone contacts. Trying to type a search when you’re distressed can use valuable time.
Below is a plant list and the side effects most often associated if your dog ingests it, its leaves, stems and/or petals. Oleander and Sago palm continue to be very serious for dogs.
- Oleander is poisonous to both dogs and humans. Both fresh and dried oleander can be fatal if ingested and should be kept out of your home and yard at all costs.
- Sago palm are extremely toxic and can cause liver failure and death.
- Lily of the valley is highly toxic and can cause a slowed heartbeat, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Amaryllis is toxic to both dogs and cats and can cause excessive drooling, gastrointestinal issues, and tremors.
- Fruit tree fruit pits (peaches, cherries, and avocados) are highly toxic to dogs.
- Chinaberry tree – all parts are extremely toxic and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures.
- Castor bean can cause many problems for your dog, such as excessive drooling, loss of appetite and abdominal pain and can be fatal in some cases.
- Tomato plant leaves and stems are extremely toxic. They can cause weakness, confusion, and a slowed heart rate if ingested. (The tomato itself is not toxic to dogs.)
- Black walnut nuts (of the black walnut tree) are extremely toxic to dogs. The nuts decay rapidly and produce mold, which can cause convulsions if ingested.
- Foxglove petals, seeds, and every part of it can cause cardiac arrest and even death.
- Autumn crocus plants can cause gastrointestinal bleeding and kidney and liver damage.
- Aloe vera can cause lethargy, vomiting and gastrointestinal issues.
- Milkweed can cause diarrhea, breathing difficulties, kidney failure and death.
- Baby’s breath can cause vomiting and severe diarrhea.
- Chrysanthemum flower can cause excessive drooling, rashes, and diarrhea.
- Japanese yew leaves, seeds and bark can cause seizures, vomiting, breathing difficulties and tremors.
- Ivy can cause diarrhea, vomiting and excessive drooling.
- Buckeye can cause dilated pupils, diarrhea, and convulsions.
- Gladiola can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.
- American holly can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
- Peony can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
- Daffodil can cause low blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat.
- Azalea can cause serious gastrointestinal issues, a slower heart rate and death if ingested.
- Calla Lilies release toxins that cause a burning sensation in your dog’s stomach and mouth.
- Hydrangea can cause lethargy, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- Newly planted tulip bulbs can cause intense stomach upset, depression and loss of appetite.
- Begonia can cause inflammation of the gums, excessive drooling and vomiting if ingested.
Topping the list of Pet Toxins continues to be human prescriptions and over the counter (OTC) medications. Keep our furry ones safe. Give us a call at 909-594-1737.